Probiotics are live microorganisms that, “when administered in adequate amounts, confer a health benefit on the host”. Research have shown that these products can prevent or cure wide range of gastrointestinal diseases like diarrhea, constipation or colon cancer. Most probiotics are based on acid lactic and bifidobactaria. These microorganisms are the main part of intestinal microflora and can be found in fermented products. These products are generally safe and categorized as GRAS.
The mechanisms of action of these bacteria are completely divers. These bacteria can produce bacteriocin and short chain fatty acids and decrease pH in gastrointestinal tract. On the other hand, they have competitive inhibition on pathogen bacteria and improve intestine cells health. These microorganisms have immunomodulatory effect and affect innate and adaptive immunity by inducing phagocytosis, IgA secretion, altering T-cell reaction, promoting Th1 response and decreasing Th2 responses.
Active substance: lactobacillus acidophilus, bifidobacterium bifidum, bifidobacterium lactis, bifidobacterium longum
Other ingredients: Magnesium stearate, Maltodextrin
Dosage: 1.8×109 CFU/Capsule
• Support and maintain the normal flora of the digestive system
• Relieve symptoms of bloating, gas, diarrhea and constipation
• Boost the immune system
• Support general wellbeing
• Improve the metabolic pathways in lactose intolerance
• Improvement of some mental health conditions (e.g., depression and anxiety)
Take 1-2 capsules daily with your meal or as prescribed
Mechanisms of action
• Improve digestive problems like diarrhea and constipation by improving food movement in gastro intestinal tract
• Produce lactic acid and short chain fatty acids that leads to pH reduction which inhibits pathogen growth in intestinal tract
• Increase ionic and water absorption in intestines through SCFAs absorption
• Produce butyrate which is the main source of energy for colon cells and promotes cell differentiation and development
• Synthesize essential vitamins like vitamin B
• Develop wide range of antimicrobial factors like lipophilic factors with molecular weight of less than 3500 that inhibits pathogen growth
• Compete with viral and microbial pathogens in epithelial cells adhesion sites
• maintain gut homeostasis by regulating mucosal barrier and improve mucosal selective permeability
• Improve innate immunity which leads to better immune response to a wide range of microorganisms
• Increase phagocyte activity, IgA production and mucosal immunity
• Inhibit transformation of procarcinogen substance to carcinogen by decreasing activity or production of betaglucoronidase and nitroreductase enzymes
• Deconjugate and hydrolyze bile acids and control blood lipid and cholesterol
• Improvement of gut-brain axis (Neuro-Immuno-Endocrine mediators)
• Regulation of inflammatory markers and neurotransmitters
In some cases, using this product may lead to bloat and gas in gastro intestinal tract at the beginning but it will disappear after a while. Consult with your physician if any other side effects are observed.
There is no contraindication for this product. In case of cardiac problems, endocarditis and immune deficiency consult your doctor before use. In case of abdominal surgery, short bowel syndrome surgery or organ transplant using probiotic should be under doctor supervision.
Using in special groups
Consult your doctor before taking BioFlora during pregnancy or breastfeeding.
Use with caution with immunosuppressive drugs.
Keep for 2 years in cool and dry places with temperature of 25 °C
Clinical trial on lactic acid bacteria and bifidobacteria
Improve constipation symptoms:
Prescribing bifidobacterium and acid lactic bacteria in people with constipation problems, increases defecation from 3.1 to 6.7 per week, improve feeling of fullness (satiety) and feeling of incomplete defecation, and decrease abdominal pain or discomfort (millano et al).
Decrease cancer risks:
Bifidobacteria induce specific and nonspecific antibody production and have antitumorigenic effects. Clinical studies have proven that these bacteria can reduce risk of colon cancer. In addition, bifidobacterium longum increase bone resistance through increasing calcium absorption in intestines (Ishibashi et al).
Reduce the risk of infectious diseases:
In a study, it was revealed that feeding infants with dry milk powder that contained bifidobacterium reduced their risk of getting diarrhea. These bacteria play an important role in preventing rotavirus infections that are the main cause of diarrhea in children.in another study on Bifidobacteria it was shown that these probiotics are capable of curing or preventing diarrhea by decreasing pH, antagonizing E.coli and Clostridium perfringens and antibacterial factor secretion. (Orrhage et al).
Proved that bifidobacterium longum and lactobacillus acidophilus could improve intestinal microbiota during administration of clindamycin.
These bacteria can modulate expression of proinflamatory and inflammatory cytokines and regulate immune system and induce IgA production (Biavati, B et al).
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
In a clinical study conducted on patients with IBS it was revealed that lactobacillus acidophilus and bifidobacterium could improve symptoms of IBS. (O’Mahony, L and Sinn,D.H et al).
Improve and cure Helicobacter pylori
In a study it was shown that lactobacillus acidophilus can cure and improve stomach ulcers caused by Helicobacter pylori (da Silva Mederios,J.A).
In a clinical study, bifidobacterium effects on improvement and treatment of intestine inflammation in patients with ulcerative colitis was investigated. The results have shown that these bacteria can treat inflammation in these patients (Schell, M.A. et al).